It was another two-loss week for me last. That's two, in three weeks. I'm 15-4 for the season, and I'm set to go 7-0 this week. Here we go!
• MADISON EAST at BELOIT MEMORIAL: Must. Win. I think everyone surrounding the Beloit Memorial football program understands just how important tonight's game against the Purgolders is.
The Knights have struggled over the season's first three weeks, and it's put up or shut up time for a team that came into the season with raised expectations.
The good news is Madison East is down on its luck again, and is the right opponent at the right time for this Beloit team to break out. It's a start, boys.
BELOIT MEMORIAL 28, MADISON EAST 14.
• HONONEGAH at ROCKFORD EAST: With Jim Franz at the Beloit Memorial game, I will be traveling south to see Hononegah for the first time this season. I'm really looking forward to it, too.
These Indians are talented, their 2-0 start hardly a fluke. Ranking ninth in the latest IHSA Class 7A poll, Hononegah is aiming to go 12-0 over the last two years in conference play.
It's hard to say just how good this Rockford East team. They won six games last year, and are already 2-0 this season. But both games were played against inferior competition, and only one of their victories was especially convincing.
I'm not expecting a tight battle tonight. The Indians will be able to stop the E-Rabs, and a shutout isn't out of the question.
HONONEGAH 38, ROCKFORD EAST 7
• BELOIT TURNER at EVANSVILLE-ALBANY: After a rough start to the season, the Blue Devils showed some life last week in a one-point loss to Jefferson. Still, Turner is much more talented and they are motivated after last week's tough loss. This one shouldn't be close.
TURNER 49, EVANSVILLE-ALBANY 12.
• WHITEWATER at BIG FOOT: The Whippets continue to bless those around the Rock Valley Conference with their mere presence. Big Foot has been a little better than their scoring differential would suggest, and I think tonight's the night to grab the first win of the season.
BIG FOOT 35, WHITEWATER 20
• CLINTON at EDGERTON: Now this is a good one. To me, this is kind of a make or break game for the Cougars. Win, get back to 2-2, and see if you can scratch out three more wins the remainder of the regular season. Lose, fall to 1-3, and it becomes nearly impossible to reach the postseason.
The score comparison game gets a little dicey. Clinton lost by 15 to Brodhead-Juda, who then lost by 23 to Edgerton. But I think this game is much closer than the score might indicate.
EDGERTON 28, CLINTON 20.
• JEFFERSON at BRODHEAD-JUDA: Speaking of make-or-break games, this would be one for the Cardinals. Win this one, sit at 3-1, with games they should get over Big Foot and Whitewater still left on the schedule. Lose, and finding that fifth win becomes more challenging.
The Eagles have been up and down this season. I think the Cards come out on top, in a nail-biter.
BRODHEAD-JUDA 21, JEFFERSON 20