It was a bit of a tough start for Flick's Picks last week. A pair of losses is not how I wanted to start the season. I've got to clean it up, lower my pad level and use better technique. It starts this week.
• CLINTON (0-1) at BRODHEAD-JUDA (1-0). I'll pick this one as my Game of the Week. I'll be headed out there tonight. I'm wearing a poncho as I type this, so I'll be prepared. Either way, I hear tell there's a fantastic new press box there in Brodhead that athletic director Brian Kammerer single-handedly constructed with his bare hands.
Anyway, on to the game. The Cardinals really took it to Evansville-Albany last week, even if the 28-22 final score didn't reflect it. And Clinton hung with East Troy for a long time before falling 20-0. What's that cliche? We'll know a LOT MORE about these two teams after tonight.
But hey, it's true. I really have no idea how to handicap this one. These teams seem to be evenly matched, both speedy without a ton of size. This is going to be fun. Don't screw it up, Mother Nature.
BRODHEAD 28, CLINTON 27.
• TURNER (1-0) at BIG FOOT (0-1): The Trojans had no trouble with Whitewater last week, as expected. I think the Chiefs will put up a better fight than the Whippets, but I don't foresee this being a tight game.
TURNER 49, BIG FOOT 20.
• PARKVIEW at BELLEVILLE: The Vikings get to open their season after a delay of one week. The bad news is they will run into a tough Belleville team that could make for a difficult opener.
BELLEVILLE 42, PARKVIEW 13
• HONONEGAH at GUILFORD: The season opener for the Indians, who should be outstanding again in 2018. I don't see Guilford putting up much of a fight this week, and the Indians are healthy and primed for a big one.
HONONEGAH 49, GUILFORD 7.
• SOUTH BELOIT at ARCOLA: This might shock you, but I'm not real familiar with the intricacies of Arcola football. Being that it's south of Champaign, I don't study up on them. I do know they have a pretty strong tradition, and the SoBos are introducing a lot of new faces on defense.
ARCOLA 48,SOUTH BELOIT 28
• BELOIT MEMORIAL (0-1) at SUN PRAIRIE (0-1): It was a less than ideal start to the season for the Purple Knights, who were beaten handily by Janesville Craig. The fact that the Cardinals lost to Madison Memorial probably wasn't great news, either. They sure won't be overlooking the Knights, as they desperately need this game if they are going to contend for another Big Eight title. I still think the Knights can have a solid season, but this is a tough ask.
SUN PRAIRIE 34, BELOIT MEMORIAL 14.