The Books For Kids campaign is down to its last 12 days, and while the books are piling up, there still is need for more to make the season brighter for area children.
The campaign will come to an end on Dec. 17, so now is the time to look through your book shelves, closets, basements or toy boxes to see if there are any books you could donate to the Books For Kids drive.
Remember, we are looking for books in good condition that are appropriate for children. We really don't need reference books such as dictionaries, encyclopedias or text books, but we would appreciate any fiction or non-fiction books that a child might enjoy.
We appreciate all the donations we have received so far and we appreciate the continued generosity of the people of the Stateline Area.
We have received a few monetary donations which we also appreciate. The money donated to the cause will go toward purchasing new books from local businesses and the new books will be added to the piles of new books that will be donated to the Salvation Army. During the Salvation Army's annual Toy Store event, the books will be distributed to families who might not have many gifts to offer their children this holiday season.
Checks can be made out to Books For Kids in care of the Beloit Daily News. Checks can be mailed or dropped off at the Daily News office at 149 State St., Beloit, Wis. 53511.
We also want to thank our partners in the Books for Kids campaign who are hosting book collection boxes in their facilities. Chances are there is a Books for Kids collection box near you.
Book collection boxes can be found at the following locations:
• Beloit Daily News, 149 State St., Beloit.
• Beloit Public Library, 605 Eclipse Blvd., Beloit.
• Bushel and Peck's Local Market, 328 State St., Beloit.
• ShopKo, 2761 Prairie Ave., Beloit.
• Woodman's Food Market, 1877 S. Madison Road, Beloit.
• Culver's restaurant, 2676 Cranston Road, Beloit.
• South Beloit Public Library, 630 Blackhawk Blvd., South Beloit.
• Talcott Free Library, 101 E. Main St., Rockton.
• Schnuck's Grocery, 4860 Hononegah Road, Roscoe.
Thanks once again to all the generous people who are helping us make reading a life-long gift to area children this holiday season.