MADISON - The Beloit Daily News captured 11 awards in the 2017 Better Newspaper Contest sponsored by the Wisconsin Newspaper Association Foundation.
Publisher Kent Eymann and Editor Bill Barth were on hand to accept the awards during Friday night's banquet, held at the Sheraton Madison Hotel. The awards recognized achievements by the newspaper's journalists and marketing representatives.
Awards presented included:
• Best Sports Section, first place, Jim Franz and Josh Flickinger.
• Best Special Section, second place, "Game Changers," BDN staff.
• Best Editorial commentary, second place, Bill Barth.
• Best Feature Photo, second place, Erica Pennington.
• Best Page Design, second place, Erica Pennington, Step'n Out.
• Best Use of Color, marketing, second place, " La Michoancana," BDN staff.
• Best Annual Niche Publication, second place, Jim Franz and advertising staff, "Legends of Sports".
• Best Special Section, third place, BDN staff, "Confluence".
• Best Special Section, third place, advertising staff, Yearbook.
• Best Lifestyle Section, honorable mention, Erica Pennington, Weekend travel feature on Germany.
• Best Overall Page Design, honorable mention, Erica Pennington, feature on Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin.
"Again this year our peers in the industry recognized that the Beloit Daily News is a solid product, providing quality journalism to our readers as well as first-rate marketing vehicles for our advertisers," Barth said. "It's always an honor to be recognized by some of the people who know the most about what it takes to create work worthy of recognition, and we're gratified our staff members can take pride in a job well done. As always, though, we are acutely aware our readers judge our work every day, and we pledge to continue doing all we can to earn their trust with each edition."