Electoral court accepts Bolivian president's re-election bid

AP

Print Article

  • FILE - In this Oct. 2, 2018 file photo, Bolivia's President Evo Morales speaks during a press conference in Government Palace in La Paz, Bolivia. Bolivia’s top electoral court announced Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018, that it has accepted Morales’ candidacy for a fourth term in office despite a constitutional ban and referendum against such a re-election. (AP Photo/Juan Karita, File)

  • 1

    An opponent of President Evo Morales hangs from a cross during a protest outside the Supreme Electoral Tribunal offices, in La Paz, Bolivia, Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018. Bolivia’s top electoral court has accepted President Evo Morales’ candidacy for a fourth term in office despite a constitutional ban and referendum against such a re-election. (AP Photo/Juan Karita)

  • FILE - In this Oct. 2, 2018 file photo, Bolivia's President Evo Morales speaks during a press conference in Government Palace in La Paz, Bolivia. Bolivia’s top electoral court announced Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018, that it has accepted Morales’ candidacy for a fourth term in office despite a constitutional ban and referendum against such a re-election. (AP Photo/Juan Karita, File)

  • 1

    An opponent of President Evo Morales hangs from a cross during a protest outside the Supreme Electoral Tribunal offices, in La Paz, Bolivia, Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018. Bolivia’s top electoral court has accepted President Evo Morales’ candidacy for a fourth term in office despite a constitutional ban and referendum against such a re-election. (AP Photo/Juan Karita)

LA PAZ, Bolivia (AP) — Bolivia's top electoral court has accepted President Evo Morales' candidacy for a fourth term in office despite a constitutional ban and referendum against such a re-election.

Electoral Tribunal President Maria Eugenia Choque announced the ruling Tuesday night to journalists, but declined to take questions. The election for a five-year term is set for November 2019.

Bolivians rejected a constitutional amendment to allow more than two consecutive terms in a 2016 referendum, but Morales' party persuaded the constitutional court last year to rule his candidacy legal. It said term limits violate citizens' human right to run for office.

Morales took office in 2005 and presided over an economic boom fueled by high prices for Bolivia's minerals and natural gas, but his popularity has fallen amid corruption scandals and his efforts to run again. He supported a 2009 constitution that allowed only two consecutive terms — though he later argued the restriction took effect only after the new constitution was adopted. He was re-elected in 2009 and 2014.

Supporters of Morales celebrated the decision outside the presidential palace, while critics took to the streets to protest the decision in cities nationwide and called for a general strike Thursday.

A group of women began a hunger strike, and more protesters were expected to arrive at Bolivia's capital over the weekend.

The opposition accused the government of interfering with the court system and said it set a bad precedent for democracy.

"The court just stabbed democracy with this decision," opposition Sen. Arturo Murillo told reporters.

Print Article

Read More National & World News

Norway allows cleric to face court in Italy

AP

December 18, 2018 at 8:25 am | COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — An Iraqi-born cleric suspected of enticing recruits to fight in Iraq and Syria has been given travel documents to travel to Italy where he faces trial, Norway's justice min...

Comments

Read More

AP Top International News at 9:25 a.m. EST

AP

December 18, 2018 at 8:30 am | China will 'never seek hegemony,' Xi says in reform speech...

Comments

Read More

Dutch Supreme Court upholds weapon smuggling conviction

AP

December 18, 2018 at 8:23 am | THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch Supreme Court has upheld the war crimes conviction of a timber dealer who was found guilty last year of selling arms to former Liberian leader Charles Taylor a...

Comments

Read More

Huawei calls on US, others to show proof of security risk

AP

December 18, 2018 at 8:20 am | DONGGUAN, China (AP) — The chairman of Huawei challenged the United States and other governments to provide evidence for claims the Chinese tech giant is a security risk as the company launched a pub...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(608) 365-8811
149 State Street
Beloit, WI 53511

©2018 Beloit Daily News Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X