While the enterprise that remains the foundation of the Hendricks organization is ABC Supply Co., Inc., operations and holdings have diversified and expanded with investments in numerous fields.
Hendricks interests range across the breadth of American free enterprise, from industrial properties to transportation, green technologies and even Hollywood.
Here’s a look at various operations associated with the Hendricks brand:
• ABC Supply Co., Inc., has evolved into the number one operation in its field in the nation. ABC operates in most American states and has more than 400 outlets for roofing and other exterior building products. ABC also operates a large catalog division and fleet center.
• American Aluminum Extrusion Company - Facilities in Beloit, Canton, Ohio, and under development in Roscoe. The firm supplies quality standard and custom aluminum extrusion shapes and fabricated aluminum parts to customers in the transportation, distribution, building, linear motion and electronic OEM markets.
• American Industrial Steel & Supply - Located in Janesville, the firm is an independent wholesaler for commercial and industrial metal products such as re-rod, bar stock, mild steel sheets and structural beam to local construction, agricultural and fabrication industries.
• Federal Health Sign Company - Located in Oceanside, California and Euless, Texas, the firm provides custom electric signage products, canopy and fascia products and maintenance services to high profile companies in the retail, restaurant, hotel, finance, petroleum, automotive, corporate identification and gaming markets. The company has more than 20 offices nationwide and includes clients such as Burger King, Shell Oil, Chevron and Harrah’s Casinos.
• Henry Technologies GmbH - Acquired in 2006, Henry manufactures a broad range of plastic and rubber fender products for agricultural and utility vehicles, and spare part retail operations. The products are internationally supplied to original equipment manufacturers, wholesalers and repair shops under the brand name “Dunloflex.”
• Henry Technologies Holdings - A global holding company with subsidiaries that manufacture and market products for the refrigeration and air conditioning industries and process plant heating and cooling applications. The company, through its Henry Valve, AC&R and Heldon product lines offers a full line of valves, oil flow control and refrigerant management products. The firm has operations not only in the United States, but also in Canada, Scotland, Australia, Singapore and China.
• Stainless Tank & Equipment - Located in Beloit, the firm designs and produces certified stainless steel ASME tanks for food grade, sanitary and chemical over-the-road transportation.
• American Construction Metals - Located in Beloit, ACM is a manufacturer of custom and standard metal roofing, metal siding, edge metal and gutter systems for residential, commercial and agricultural buildings. ACM operates its own fleet of trucks to guarantee consistent and on-time delivery. Operations sites include Beloit; Lodi, Calif.; Tampa, Fla.; and Houston and San Antonio, Texas.
• Mule-Hide Products - Located in Beloit, Mule-Hide is associated with distribution centers across the United States and part of Canada, and has become one of the most trusted names in low-slope roofing. Mule-Hide is known for working closely with architects, specifiers, structural engineers and installers to provide the latest roofing solutions. The company works with all sorts of clients and contractors, including commercial, industrial and institutional applications.
Transportation and Logistics
• Blackhawk Transport & Logistics - Located in Beloit, Blackhawk Transport is a market-to-market regional and service sensitive long-haul trucking company. Using dry vans, flat beds, curtain-sides and drop-deck equipment, Blackhawk focuses on customer services and network solutions.
• Hendricks River Logistics - Located in Keokuk, Iowa, strategically on the Mississippi River adjacent to BNSF Railroad Maine Line, the firm provides unit-train to barge transloading services. The company is the closest terminal to western coal at 970 miles from the Powder River Basin and has at least a 10-month shipping season. The firm offers complete transshipment services including rapid loading and unloading, dust collection and suppression, and storage and stockpiling.
• American Westbrook Insurance Services - Located in Westchester, Ill., the firm focuses on providing single source for businesses’ insurance needs and has been designated as one of the fastest growing full-service insurance brokers in the Midwest. The firm creates, sells and manages new insurance products for businesses throughout the country.
• Gateway Insurance Company - Located in St. Louis, Mo., Gateway started by providing insurance coverage for St. Louis-based taxicab companies in the 1940s. Today, Gateway is a recognized national leader in taxicab insurance and is licensed to provide insurance to long-haul truckers and contractors, specializing in roofing contractors.
• Corporate Contractors, Inc. - Located in Beloit, CCI is a leading general contracting firm with project capability in a number of market sectors, operating on a national scale. The company is experienced in design-build projects, renovations, facility repairs, additions and other construction-related projects. CCI has built a number of buildings and projects in the Stateline Area, along with its work around the country.
• Hendricks Commercial Properties, LLC - Located in Beloit, Hendricks Commercial Properties was created to invest in, manage and develop real estate throughout the United States. The company has taken the lead in a number of local development projects, actively pursuing growth in the community. Currently, HCP manages more than 15 million square feet of real estate, primarily in industrial, retail and office/mixed use investments and projects.
Recycling and Sustainability
• Avid Pallet Services, LLC - Located in Beloit, Avid Pallet is a leading manufacturer and distributor of pallets, crates and specialty wood products. The company manufactures and sells new pallets as well as refurbished and recycled pallets. The company also manages the logistical requirements for customers through a fleet of company owned trailers. Avid also has the capability to heat-treat any product for overseas export.
• Garick - Located in Cleveland, Ohio, Garick is a leading processor and distributor of renewable and sustainable natural resource products including compost, mulch, soil amendments and organic fertilizers. Products are used in the landscape, recreation, lawn, garden and construction markets. The company also competes in the alternative energy market as a processor and distributor of biomass. The company has facilities in Ohio, Connecticut, Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
• Humane Manufacturing - Located in Janesville, the company manufactures premium quality recycled rubber mats and flooring for the fitness, industrial and agricultural markets. The company collects and recycles approximately 40,000,000 pounds of rubber truck tire buffing material, collected nationwide. At one time this material wound up in landfills. Today every pound is either sold to other manufacturers or used in the company’s own mat and landscape applications.
• Universal Recycling Technologies - Located in Janesville, the firm provides comprehensive recycling solutions for universal and electronic waste, asset management services and is a manufacturer of proprietary fluorescent lamp recycling equipment. The company also sells a complete range of pre-paid pack-and-ship recycling boxes for fluorescent lamps and batteries. The company has seven recycling locations across the nation.
• NorthStar Medical Technologies - With a planned new plant in Beloit, NorthStar has developed new technologies and production methods in the nuclear medicine market for Molybdenum-99 and other medically significant radioisotopes. Materials are used in over 50,000 diagnostic procedures performed daily in the United States.
• GEM Pharmaceuticals - Located in Birmingham, Ala., the company is a biopharmaceutical enterprise engaged in the development and commercialization of novel anthracycline for the treatment of cancers and inflammation. The company is developing a chemical synthesis procedure to manufacture a compound known as GPX-150, to avoid cardiotoxic effects commonly associated with chemotherapy. The firm also is focused on development of drugs to treat inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, psoriasis, transplant and other related diseases.
• Blonhaven Hunt Club - Located in Orfordville, the club offers hunters a challenging experience with more than 300 acres of sorghum, switch grass and milo, groomed primarily to enhance hunting upland game, such as ringneck pheasant, Hungarian partridge and chukars. It is the oldest continuous hunting preserve in Wisconsin.
• Mpower Pictures - Located in Santa Monica, Calif., Mpower was launched in January 2007. It was created by producer Stephen McEveety, whose experience includes such well-known films as “The Passion of the Christ”, “We Were Soldiers”, “Braveheart” and “What Women Want”. Mpower has produced the films “An American Carol”, “The Stoning of Soraya M.,” “Snowmen” and more, with the help of Ken and Diane Hendricks’ investments. The films have become a popular part of the Beloit International Film Festival.
• Marsh Global Holdings - Located in Hong Kong, the firm is a global supply chain company delivering strategic and operating solutions to companies operating between North America, Europe and Asia in the construction and energy industries. Marsh offers consulting, manufacturing, trading and logistics services. Today the company operates in two sectors, construction and wind power, with facilities in Hong Kong, China, Denmark, England, Scotland, and Atlanta in the United States.
Rivers edge foundry
• Rivers Edge Foundry - Located in Beloit, Rivers Edge is a studio foundry run by master sculptor Donald L. Reed. The foundry manufactures and distributes limited-edition bronze and silver sculpture to customers worldwide, including fine arts galleries, institutions, private collectors and civic organizations.
Merrill & Houston
• Merrill & Houston, a Steak Joint — Named after two founders of what became Beloit Corporation, this downtown Beloit steakhouse is the successor to Cafe Belwah in the Beloit Inn. The newly remodeled and themed restaurant plans its formal grand opening in a few days. The new menu, of course, features fine dining and steaks, in a lovely setting by the Rock River. The facility also features a popular bar where people gather for drinks and conversation.
Additionally, Ken and Diane Hendricks were investors in the Beloit Inn and helped to bring the busy upscale hotel to the community’s downtown commercial district. The Beloit Inn has become well known across the state and beyond as both a getaway and destination, offering out-of-the-ordinary accommodations and service. Located just across the street from Beloit College, the Inn is often home base for parents visiting their sons and daughters at the institution.
Also, just north of the Beloit Inn and Merrill & Houston steakhouse, is the landmark Heritage View condominium building developed through Ken and Diane Hendricks. The first story is reserved for commercial purposes, with the upper floors providing upscale residential living along the scenic Rock River. The Heritage View development reclaimed a neglected portion of the riverfront, and sits directly across the Rock River from the former Beloit Corporation complex, which was redeveloped by the Hendricks and renamed the Ironworks, in honor of the site’s history.