Stateline Area News in Brief - Beloit Daily News: Home

608-365-8811
default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Stateline Area News in Brief

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Chimney fire damages Town of Turtle home

TOWN OF TURTLE — A fire in a chimney is believed to have caused about $60,000 worth of damage to a Town of Turtle home Tuesday evening.

The Town of Turtle responded to a house fire in the 11000 block of South Reimer Road around 11:30 p.m.

Town of Turtle Fire Chief Tim Huffman said the homeowner was taking his dog out for a walk when he heard a “roaring” noise. When he turned around he saw the southwest side of the home fully involved with smoke coming from the attic. Huffman said the fire likely started in the chimney. Huffman said the siding caught fire, but he didn’t know how as of this morning.

Two people were in the home at the time of the fire and were able to escape unharmed.

Huffman said 13 departments aided the town including Beloit, Town of Beloit, South Beloit, Clinton, Harlem-Roscoe and Rockton.

Firefighters left the scene around 2:30 a.m. today, Huffman said.

Names omitted from honor roll

The following is a list of names of students who were unintentionally left off the Juniors 4.0 GPA honor roll list for the first term at Beloit Memorial High School:

Brandon R. Alanis, Rebecca M. Charles, Laura I. Corona, Carlose Diaz, Jarett M. Druding, Michelle R. Ellis, Sarah E. Goodwin, Tianna Halderson, Darby A. Hoffman, Austin J. Lucas, Morgan H. Makinen, Jonathan A. Montes-Aguilar, Lauren E. Otto, Hayden Scharmer, Kara R. Socha and McKenzie Wessell-Woodcock.

ROSCOE — The Gun Club Restaurant in Roscoe has closed its doors after 16 months of business.

On the restaurant’s Facebook page, a note from owners Cindy and Frank Dajka states the owners decided to close the business because of continuing economic challenges as well as personal health issues.

“While we were able to recreate the quality of our food, service and live entertainment, the economy, realization of the costs of owning a business in the State of Illinois and steep increase in food costs have caused our decision to close. In addition, Frank and I have both had unexpected health issues in 2012 that have added an additional burden,” the note said.

The Dajkas had owned the Gun Club when it was at 1122 E. Colley Road, Beloit. Fire destroyed the restaurant on Aug. 7, 2010. The fire was ruled an arson.

In 2011, the Dajkas opened the Gun Club at 5506 Clayton Circle, Roscoe. The location has not had good luck for restaurants in recent years. Restaurants such as Coby Jacks and Rusty Putter had brief turns at business at that location.

  • Discuss

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Print ads