Teixeira’s stint in WBC ends quickly
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Mark Teixeira’s stay with the U.S. team at the World Baseball Classic didn’t last long.
The Yankees slugger strained his right wrist while taking some light swings off a tee in the batting cage Tuesday, forcing him to withdraw from the tournament even before the Americans could play the Chicago White Sox in the first of their two scheduled exhibition games.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Tuesday night in Tampa, Fla., that Teixeira would be out a minimum of 10 days.
X-rays were negative and an MRI revealed the strain, U.S. manager Joe Torre said. The Yankees said in a statement that Teixeira will be evaluated further Wednesday by team physician Dr. Christopher Ahmad and hand specialist Dr. Melvin Rosenwasser.
“It wasn’t something he wouldn’t be doing (with the Yankees),” Torre said after the U.S. played to a 4-4 tie with the White Sox. “It was just a freak thing.”
Torre said that there have already been conversations about who will replace Teixeira but no decisions have been made. The U.S. opens pool play Friday night against Mexico.
“I’m not throwing any names out,” Torre said. “We certainly are looking to fill this spot as soon as possible, so you know I’ll meet with my coaches. We’ll try to figure it out.”
Torre may not have been discussing options with reporters, but he did bring up White Sox slugger Paul Konerko with his manager, Robin Ventura. Konerko went 3 for 3 and drove in a run against the U.S. team in their exhibition game at Camelback Ranch.
Other names that are likely to be discussed are the Brewers’ Prince Fielder, the Angels’ Mark Trumbo, Mets first baseman Ike Davis and the Red Sox’s Mike Napoli, who can catch and play first.
Torre said he couldn’t say when the decision will be made because there are so many moving pieces, such as whether players are interested and their situation with their teams.
PRO FOOTBALL Miller guarantees a Super Bowl
DENVER (AP) — Von Miller is pulling a Joe Namath and it’s only March.
Denver’s star pass-rusher is already guaranteeing a Super Bowl title for the Broncos next season.
Miller said he’s dedicating the season to his 6-year-old cousin who recently emerged from a coma after a car accident in West Texas that also injured his mother and 8-year-old brother.
On Monday, Miller tweeted: “You can post this where ever.. Denver broncos will win the Super Bowl” in the 2013 season.
PRO FOOTBALL Merriman calls it quits
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Linebacker Shawne Merriman is calling it “Lights Out” on his career, announcing on his website that he plans to retire.
In a message posted Tuesday night on shawnemerriman.com, the player wrote he is electing to retire on his own terms, saying he will “leave while I know I can still physically play the game.”
Merriman’s decision comes a week before he was eligible to become a free agent, and after spending parts of the past three seasons in Buffalo. Last year, he was cut by the Bills in August before re-signing with them in October.
He’s a three-time Pro Bowl selection and the NFL’s 2005 defensive rookie of the year. Merriman’s best seasons came with San Diego.
PRO BASEBALL Furcal to get 2nd opinion
JUPITER, Fla. (AP) — St. Louis Cardinals shortstop Rafael Furcal is getting a second opinion on his ailing elbow.
General manager John Mozeliak said Furcal would be examined Wednesday by Dr. James Andrews.
The 35-year-old Furcal is out indefinitely after reinjuring the elbow he hurt late last season. Furcal and the team elected to try rehab rather than reconstructive surgery in the offseason.
PRO BASEBALL Pujols plays in 1st game
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — Depending on one’s point of view, Albert Pujols started his exhibition season 10 days late or 10 days early.
Recovering from offseason surgery on his right knee, the three-time MVP went 0 for 3 in his first spring training appearance of 2013 as the Los Angeles Angels beat the Cincinnati Reds 6-4 Tuesday.
Angels manager Mike Scioscia had not expected Pujols to play for another week-and-a-half.
COLLEGE HOOPS Floyd says he’s not leaving
EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Tim Floyd insists he is not heading back to Southern California.
Floyd, who now coaches at UTEP, spoke following the Miners’ 56-54 loss to No. 25 Memphis on Tuesday night and said his meeting with USC athletic director Pat Haden was not about the men’s basketball opening.
“They did not offer me a job nor was I looking for a job,” said Floyd. “We had a great three-hour conversation and that’s all I’m going to say.”
UTEP AD Bob Stull had said that Floyd and Haden met to discuss the coaching job. Stull said USC contacted him six weeks ago about discussing the vacancy.