A Beloit man woke up around 6:40 a.m. today to the smell of smoke coming from his bedroom at 213 Liberty Ave.
“I saw smoke coming out of a light fixture,” said the man, who did not want to give his name. “I grabbed (my daughter), called 911 and went to the basement to cut the power.”
Beloit firefighters were called around 7 a.m. to the home. Smoke and flames were visible from the roof of the structure as crews battled the fire. The resident in the home said his roommate and her two children were also in the building at the time. Everyone got out of the home safely.
Richard Nelson, owner of the property, said the home has two apartments. He’s owned the home for about 25 years.
Traffic was blocked at Liberty Avenue and Fourth Street as well as at Fifth and Sixth streets. It’s unclear what the cause of the fire was.
Mutual aid was called and crews from Harlem-Roscoe and South Beloit fire departments were both on scene assisting the Beloit Fire Department. Fire departments from the Town of Beloit, Rockton, Town of Turtle, Janesville, Rockford and Orfordville also came to Beloit to assist. Some of the firefighters went to the fire station to handle any other calls that might come in.