What was your favorite book as a child? Was it "Green Eggs and Ham?" "Where the Wild Things Are?" "Harriet the Spy?"
Here's the next question. Do you still have these books gathering dust in your closet, and are they in good condition?
Then have we got an idea for you. Share that book with a child who might not get many gifts this season by donating it to the Books for Kids drive.
The Beloit Daily News and its partners in the Stateline Area will be collecting children's books through Dec. 15. At the end of the drive, the books will be taken to the Salvation Army in Beloit to be distributed to children during its Toy and Gift distribution for the holiday season.
Books to be donated should be in good condition and must be appropriate for children. We suggest that you not donate dictionaries, encyclopedias and school text books.
We could not do this book drive without the generosity of the people of the Stateline Area, nor could it be possible without the help of our business partners and local libraries which help us collect the books.
Book collection boxes are set up at 10 locations in the Stateline Area. They are:
• Beloit Daily News, 149 State St., Beloit.
• Beloit Public Library, 605 Eclipse Blvd., Beloit.
• Bushel and Peck's Local Market, 328 State St., Beloit.
• ShopKo, 2761 Prairie Ave., Beloit.
• Piggly Wiggly, 1827 Prairie Ave., Beloit.
• Woodman's Food Market, 1877 S. Madison Road, Beloit.
• Culver's restaurant, 2676 Cranston Road, Beloit.
• South Beloit Public Library, 630 Blackhawk Blvd., South Beloit.
• Talcott Free Library, 101 E. Main St., Rockton.
• Schnuck's Grocery, 4860 Hononegah Road, Roscoe.
The collection boxes are wrapped in gift wrapping paper and have Books for Kids signs on them.
We also will accept monetary donations. Money donated to the drive will be used to purchase new children's books at local stores, which will be added to the books collected in the drive.
Checks can be made out to Books for Kids and they can be dropped off at the Beloit Daily News or mailed to the Beloit Daily News, 149 State St., Beloit, Wis. 53511.
This marks the 31st year for the Books for Kids drive and over the years, thousands of books have been donated to make the holiday season brighter for area children.
We hope you can help us continue this tradition and bring a little holiday happiness to children - No batteries required.