BELOIT - Put on your coat, grab a pair of mittens, and head out for a weekend of fun - it's time for Winterfest!
This year's Winterfest lineup will be taking place at different venues throughout the City of Beloit from Jan. 19-21.
"Winterfest has existed for over 15 years and we've seen it change over time and grow," said Recreation Coordinator Sonya Hoppes.
The 2018 Winterfest lineup will begin with free Bingo from 9-11 a.m. on Jan. 19 at Grinnell Hall, 631 Bluff St. There will be prizes and snacks.
The Beloit Public Library, 605 Eclipse Blvd., will be hosting free crafts in the afternoon for kids ages 9-13, and in the evening there will be public skate at Edwards Ice Arena, 2101 Cranston Road.
An exciting addition to opening day is a movie night at Grinnell Hall. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and families can choose between two movies. Visitors are encouraged to bring blankets and lawn chairs.
"It's a surprise what the movies are going to be, but I will say that one is all about penguins and the other is about kids who are really excited to see snow and miss school," Hoppes said.
Admission to the indoor movie is free and there will be popcorn for everyone to snack on.
On Saturday the action will start at 8 a.m. for the annual 4's Volleyball Tournament at Beloit Memorial High School. Teams have until Jan. 12 to sign up.
More fun is planned at the Welty Environmental Center, 1201 Big Hill Court, in the afternoon. There will be all sorts of hands-on activities and educational opportunities.
Also happening will be "Try out Gymnastics" at the Stateline Family YMCA Gymnastics Center, swimming at Beloit Memorial High School and activities at the new Nature at the Confluence environmental center in South Beloit. There also will be ice skating at Edwards Ice Arena. Some fees apply.
"Nature at the Confluence is such a gem for this area and we're so lucky to have the beautiful center," Hoppes said.
Sunday will feature free horse drawn sleigh rides at Big Hill Park, a log rolling demonstration at the Stateline Family YMCA, swimming and more.
Friday, Jan. 19
• 9-11 a.m.: Winterfest starts with Bingo at Grinnell Hall, 631 Bluff St. Free.
• 2-3 p.m.: The Beloit Public Library, 605 Eclipse Blvd., will offer finger knitting crafts for kids ages 9-13. Free.
• 5:30 p.m.: Doors open for Family Movie Night at Grinnell Hall. Free admission and popcorn.
• 7-9 p.m.: Edwards Ice Arena, 2101 Cranston Road, will host an open skate with DJ Al. Bring a non-perishable food item and receive free skate rental. Regular admission applies.
Saturday, Jan. 20
• Noon-2 p.m.: Welty Environmental Center, at Big Hill Park, will host "The Worlds of Birds." Free.
• 12:30-2 p.m.: Try out gymnastics with the family at the Stateline Family YMCA Gymnastic Center, 1239 Huebbe Parkway. Cost is $10 per family for YMCA members and $20 for non-members.
• 1-3 p.m.: Open swim will be held at the Beloit Memorial High School Natatorium. Cost is $3 per person or $10 for a family of four.
• 1-2 p.m.: Rocktown Adventures presents "Backpacking the Appalachian Trail/Outdoor Education Series" at Nature at the Confluence. Pre-registration required at 815-636-9066. Fee applies.
• 2-4 p.m.: Edwards Ice Arena will host open skate. Bring a non-perishable food item and receive free skate rental. Regular admission applies.
• 3:30-5 p.m.: Nature at the Confluence hosts as "Winter Walk About" with family-friendly activities and s'mores. Free.
• 3-4:30 p.m.: Rocktown Adventures offers snowshoe hiking and instruction at Nature at the Confluence. Pre-registration required by Jan. 12. Fees apply.
• Four's co-ed Adult Volleyball Tournament at Beloit Memorial High School all day. Team pre-registration is required.
Sunday, Jan. 21
• 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides at Big Hill Park. Free.
• Noon-1 p.m.: Log rolling demonstration will be held at the Stateline Family YMCA, 501 Third St. Free.
• 1-3 p.m.: Open swim at the Stateline Family YMCA. Youth must be accompanied by an adult. Cost is $3 per person or $10 for a family of four.
• 2-4 p.m.: Open skate at Edwards Ice Arena. Bring a non-perishable food item and receive free skate rental. Regular admission applies.
• Euchre Tournament at Krueger Haskell Club House, 1611 Hackett Street, begins at 12:45 p.m. Pre-registration required by Jan. 17.