It was the worst week yet for Flick's Picks: 5-3, bringing my season tally to 45-7. Perhaps I'm guilty at times of picking with my heart over me head. Not a shocker. Anyway, on to week eight!
• AUBURN at HONONEGAH: What a game! I can't wait to be on the sidelines for this one, though it looks like I'll need to invest in a poncho. The good news? I look amazing in a poncho.
So these two teams come into play undefeated, each 6-0. Playing the score comparison game is dangerous, but Hononegah comes out looking better in that regard. The big factor is this: Auburn is a different team when you get them off a turf field. Given tonight's forecasted rain, the difference could be all the more telling.
Hononegah has a bruising runner in Dallas Washington that they can pound behind a big offensive line. I just think the matchup really favors the Indians. Expect a close one, but a Hononegah victory.
HONONEGAH 20, AUBURN 14
• BELOIT TURNER at EAST TROY: Another interesting game on the slate. East Troy is still fighting for its playoff life at 4-3, while Turner has secured a berth. At this point, it's about playoff positioning for Turner. Should they win out and finish 7-2, they've got every reason to expect to host at least one game in the playoffs. But should they stumble tonight or, even worse, next week at McFarland, it could be a different story. East Troy is one of the oddest teams in the state with the way they freely score and even more freely give up points. It could be a sloppy track all over the area this evening, which would bring scores down a touch. I'm putting Turner in the 'W' column tonight, but hold your wagers, people: This one could go either way.
TURNER 27, EAST TROY 21
• CLINTON at EDGERTON: The Cougars can clinch a share of their third straight RVC title, an amazing accomplishment for one of the conference's smallest schools. They face an Edgerton team that has some athletes, but won't be able to compete against the Cougars. Clinton probably won't have quarterback Tyler Halsted again. And like last week against McFarland, it won't matter.
CLINTON 49, EDGERTON 6.
• BELOIT MEMORIAL at MIDDLETON: The Purple Knights have a tough task ahead of them as they look for their third victory. The Cardinals are, as per usual, big, strong and fundamentally strong. These are the types of games that I hope the Knights can win as the rebuilding process continues. But as for tonight, Middleton should come out on top.
MIDDLETON 28, BELOIT MEMORIAL 14
• BRODHEAD-JUDA at EVANSVILLE-ALBANY: The Cardinals are dealing with a host of injuries and are now out of the playoff picture, while the Blue Devils still need another victory to secure a bid. That's a tough combination to enter a game.
EVANSVILLE-ALBANY 35, BRODHEAD-JUDA 20.
• BIG FOOT at WHITEWATER: Even without Jackson Enz, I believe the Chiefs have enough firepower to overcome the Whippets.
BIG FOOT 34, WHITEWATER 28
• SOUTH BELOIT at HAMILTON (Saturday): This one figures to be another tough game for the SoBos, who haven't won after their opening day victory.
HAMILTON 56, SOUTH BELOIT 12