Flick's Picks went 7-0 last year, and I'm now 35-2 for the season. 35-2 people! And there's absolutely no way to profit from this, which is a real shame. Pretty fun week to look forward to here. Let's go!
• CLINTON at BELOIT TURNER : The much-anticipated matchup between Beloit Turner and Clinton, two undefeated teams, is finally here. The Trojans are expecting upwards of 4,000 people to come to the game tonight. So, get there early (tickets go on sale at 5:30). Despite the fact that Turner is bringing in extra bleachers, expect to be standing for this one if you don't show up to claim your spot. I'm just really happy that Turner has created a designated parking spot with a big "JFLICK" sign next to it. Really appreciate that, guys.
So, what's going to happen tonight, besides give or take 12 players going out with cramps because it's 93 degrees and they didn't hydrate during the day? Actually, I think that Turner coach Derek Diehl put it best this week: Clinton isn't a program building its way up. They are there. They are one of the favorites to win a state title. They have essentially dominated everyone they've seen. They are healthy, confident, explosive and staunch defensively.
Turner is the fastest team Clinton has faced and poses a number of issues for any opponent. They are 5-0 for a reason, and it's not a fluke. But the Cougars have won the last seven games in this series. Just one game has been even close. Turner has closed the gap, but not quite enough to make this a four quarter game.
CLINTON 42, TURNER 20
• JANESVILLE CRAIG at BELOIT MEMORIAL: The Purple Knights enter a stretch of winnable games, with the first one coming this evening against the Cougars. Both teams have lost a close game to La Follette, beaten Madison East easily and gotten blown out by Sun Prairie. This is almost certain to be a four-quarter game. Beloit Memorial hasn't proven its ability to win in those siutations. But there's something in the air tonight, and it ain't a 1981 Phil Collins tune (if you aren't air-drumming right now, I don't think we can be friends.) Let's go with the Purple Knights in a slight upset. Don't let me down, boys.
BELOIT MEMORIAL 28, JANESVILLE CRAIG 27
• HONONEGAH at BELVIDERE NORTH: I'm not going to lie, guys. This one scares me. I believe Hononegah is the better team. They are 4-0, and have earned the right to be a significant favorite in this game and are a true contender for a NIC-10 crown. But this has all the makings of a classic letdown game against a fired-up, fairly desperate opponent. I'm going to pick the Indians here, but they've GOT to show up to play from the first snap, or the Blue Thunder are going to get this one.
HONONEGAH 21, BELVIDERE NORTH 20
• BRODHEAD-JUDA at EDGERTON: The Cardinals can keep their flickering playoff hopes alive with a win, and it would be nice to get a little streak going. Edgerton does have some talent, and I see this one going down to the wire.
BRODHEAD-JUDA 28, EDGERTON 23.
• BIG FOOT at MCFARLAND: Much like the Cardinals, the Chiefs have their backs against the wall if they are going to qualify for post-season play. Big Foot has lost four straight games, but they've played some excellent teams in that stretch. The streak comes to an end tonight.
BIG FOOT 42, MCFARLAND 28.
• MOOSEHEART at SOUTH BELOIT: The SoBos have a winnable game this evening after facing Marquette two straight weeks. I think they get it done at home.
SOUTH BELOIT 40, MOOSEHEART 21
• DODGEVILLE at PARKVIEW: The Vikings are going to get a win this season, I really believe that, but it won't be this week. Tough matchup for Parkview.
DODGEVILLE 35, PARKVIEW 20.