TOWN OF BELOIT - It's that time again: Preservation Park is to host a weekend of exciting family-friendly activities.
The annual Festival on the Rock is taking place Friday through Sunday at the park, 3444 Riverside Drive. On the schedule is a carnival, tasty food, a volleyball tournament, a Kubb tournament, live music, fireworks and much more. Admission, parking and many of the activities are free.
"Festival on the Rock started as an event to bring the community together," said Committee Chairperson Jeff Vohs. "It's really expanded over the years."
All of this year's Festival on the Rock fun will kick off at 4 p.m. Friday when the carnival, food vendors and beer tent open. A bags tournament, knockerball and live music begins at 6 p.m.
Saturday's schedule starts at 9 a.m. with vendors, knockerball, the carnival and food vendors opening up. Touch-A-Truck and the cardboard boat regatta will start at noon. Pontoon rides will be offered from 3-5 p.m. and the Beloit Bombshells Roller Derby team will do a demonstration at 5:30 p.m. A dazzling fireworks display will light up the sky at dusk.
Sunday's schedule will feature the carnival, food vendors and the brand new fire fighter challenge starting at 9 a.m. Live music will start at noon, and there will be a K-9 demonstration at 2 p.m.
"We (a committee of volunteers) enjoy putting on the festival because we can offer community members some fun for little to no cost," Vohs said.
In addition to offering a day/night out that is easy on the wallet, the proceeds raised from the event go back to help the community.
"Some of the funds will help the Town of Beloit parks and some also will support the literacy program in the Turner School District," Vohs said.
Friday, Sept. 8
. Carnival and food vendors from 4 p.m.-midnight
• Beer tent open from 4-11:30 p.m.
• Bags tournament, pre-registration required, at 6 p.m.
• Knockerball from 6 p.m.-midnight
• Live music from 6-11:30 p.m.; Junkmale (alternative rock cover band) at 6 p.m. and Zac Mathews Band (country) at 9 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 9
. Vendors and booths open at 9 a.m.
• Knockerball, carnival and food vendors from 9 a.m.-midnight
• Beer tent open from 9 a.m.-11:30 p.m.
• Grass Volleyball Tournament starts at 9:30 a.m., pre-registration required
• Cardboard boat regatta starts at noon
• Touch-a-Truck from noon-4 p.m.
. Bags tournament at 2 p.m., pre-registration required
• Pontoon boat rides from 3-5 p.m.
• Live music 3 p.m.-11:30 p.m.; Switchtrack Alley (southern rock, R&B and blues) at 3 p.m.; Dirt Road Rebelz (country) at 5 p.m.; Soul 2 Soul (classic 1970s) at 7 p.m., Done Deal (modern and classic rock) at 9 p.m.
• Beloit Bombshells Roller Derby at 5:30 p.m.
• Fireworks at dusk
Sunday, Sept. 10
• Carnival, knockerball and food vendors from 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
• Fire fighter challenge starts at 9 a.m.
• Kubb Tournament, registration starts at 9 a.m., play begins at 10 a.m.
• Beer tent from 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
• Live music noon-5:30 p.m.; New Image (funk, blues, R&B, classic rock) at noon and Outlaws & Angels (southern rock, country, classic rock) at 3 p.m.
• Rock County K-9 demonstration at 2 p.m.