I came within one point of starting the season 12-0. Instead, I'll settle for a 6-1 week and an 11-1 start to the 2017 season. How about this weekend?
• CLINTON (2-0) at BIG FOOT (1-1): The Cougars are really rolling and have put together eight solid quarters on both sides of the ball. Their blowout of Brodhead-Juda was a statement game, and Clinton looks every bit ready to compete for their third straight conference title.
Big Foot dropped a really tough decision to East Troy, coming literally inches from a stroybook win. The Chiefs problem thus far has been on the defensive side of the ball. I'm fascinated to see what Jackson Enz can do against this Clinton defense.
It's a matchup of two really well-coached teams, and I think the Cougars come out on top tonight. I'm covering this one, and can't wait to head up to Walworth tonight.
CLINTON 38, BIG FOOT 24
• BELOIT TURNER (2-0) at EVANSVILLE (0-2): Another fascinating matchup between two teams who have faced opposite roads as we enter week three. The Trojans have feasted upon the two worst teams in the Rock Valley Conference, Edgerton and Whitewater. Evansville-Albany has lost to perhaps the two best teams in conference, Clinton and Jefferson.
So, really, who are these guys? That's what we will find out this evening. Make no mistake, this game is more critical for the Blue Devils. Starting out a season 0-3 is a deep hole to climb out of. But I still believe Turner's talent can overcome any extra motivation the Blue Devils carry.
TURNER 28, EVANSVILLE 20
• JEFFERSON (2-0) at BRODHEAD-JUDA (0-2): The Eagles are solid in a number of areas, including a pair in which Brodhead-Juda struggles: Size and experience. I can't call a Cardinals victory in this one.
JEFFERSON 42, BRODHEAD-JUDA 27
• HONONEGAH (1-0) at FREEPORT (0-1): The Indians should roll in this one, and should be 3-0 heading into a showdown with Boylan in week four. I just don't think the Pretzels have what it takes to keep this one close.
HONONEGAH 42, FREEPORT 14
• PARDEEVILLE at PARKVIEW (0-2): The Vikings came up just short of their first victory of the season last week against Marshall, and Pardeeville provides an interesting test. I think this one goes down to the wire.
PARDEEVILLE 24, PARKVIEW 23
• ST. JOSEPH at SOUTH BELOIT: This Saturday afternoon matinee will also be covered by yours truly. The SoBos won game one 35-0, but St. Joe's provides a stiffer test. Toss-up.
St. Joe's 35, SOUTH BELOIT 34