Ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again. Friday night lights! With that, Flick's Picks will be again choosing winners.
Last year, I finished the season 65-9 and I'm hoping for even better this season. First, a note: Are you people listening to our podcast? It's available on iTunes and most popular places where podcasts are downloaded. Otherwise, I always tweet out the link to our podomatic page every time an episode goes live.
I will try to do this multiple times per week. Today is a special treat: Two podcasts in a day. The first is with Rob Lucas as we discuss the pro sports scene. The second is a solo venture in which I make predictions on tonight's games and this season.
Away we go!
• TURNER at EDGERTON: We had a late switch in coverage plans, and I will be headed to Edgerton to catch the Trojans' opening game.
When these two teams met in the season opener last year, the Trojans won going away. I think both teams are improved, but I don't believe the gap has been shortened. In fact, I'm pretty optimistic about this Turner team this fall. They start out with a win.
TURNER 38, EDGERTON 16
• CLINTON at EVANSVILLE-ALBANY: OK, I'm just going to come right out and say it. I have literally no idea who is going to win this game tonight. Both of these teams were outstanding last year. Both have lost a ton of high-impact players. Both have some really talented kids coming back.
But how can one predict a game where nobody has seen either play? I'm going with Clinton here, because they will be out looking to avenge their only conference loss of the season last year. We know the Cougars have about 15 really good football players. Whether they have anymore will determine just how far they can go this year.
CLINTON 34, EVANSVILLE-ALBANY 28
• BIG FOOT at BRODHEAD-JUDA: Great game. These two rivals might not be what they used to be when both squads were routinely competing for state title game appearances, but there is plenty of talent on both sides of the ball.
This is a great matchup because both teams figure to try and play the same way: Use their speed, cover up any weaknesses up front, and put a lot of faith in their quarterbacks.
Jackson Enz is one of the premier players in the state. I think he carries the Chiefs to a win here.
BIG FOOT 28, BRODHEAD-JUDA 24
• BELOIT MEMORIAL at MADISON WEST: First off, I do believe this is the year that Beloit Memorial gets a conference win. Heck, they might get two or three. But I don't think tonight is the night to stop the streak. It'll be more competitive than last year, however.
MADISON WEST 27, BELOIT MEMORIAL 14.
• PARKVIEW at DODGEVILLE: This is a tough way to start the season for the Vikings, as Dodgeville is a strong team and this game in on the road.
DODGEVILLE 34, PARKVIEW 20.