More drama brews in Roscoe Township

Print Article

ROSCOE TOWNSHIP — Eight of the Republican Caucus candidates withdrew their paperwork for the spring election on Monday after an objection was filed last week on behalf of Citizens for a Clean Slate for Roscoe Township trustee candidate Kelly Cosgriff.

The candidates who withdrew papers are as follows: Steve Connell, for township supervisor; Matthew Servant for road commissioner; Tom Hawes for trustee; Todd Piper for trustee; Thomas Jack for trustee; Jesse D. Garcia for trustee; Cynthia Servant for township assessor; and Patricia J. Zintak for township clerk.

Winnebago County Clerk Margie Mullens is going to call the state board of elections and speak to the legal department to see if the eight candidates can seek office as write-in candidates. It’s the only choice the eight candidates have, according to information from the Winnebago County Clerk’s Office.

There will no electoral board hearing based upon the withdrawal, according to Ian Linnabary, election law attorney with the law firm Reno & Zahm LLP who represents the eight candidates against whom the objections were filed.

Having tried a lot of election law cases similar to this, Linnabary said the candidates would be unlikely to prevail.

“Instead of spending precious time and taxpayer resources on a hearing, they elected to withdraw,” Linnabary said.

Although the eight names have been withdrawn, Linnabary said whenever there are party position vacancies on a ballot the party can fill it through a slating process.

When called about their plans, Connell and Servant did not return calls by press time.

Cosgriff had filed an objection to his slate of opponents’ paperwork on Tuesday, Dec. 27, according to information from the Winnebago County Clerk’s Office.

The incumbent group which is part of the Republican caucus submitted its certification of nomination of caucus to the county clerk, which Cosgriff said was an error. The group is supposed to file it in the township office, according to Illinois Election Code Post Caucus Procedures.

Cosgriff said the certificate of nomination also had to be submitted between Dec. 12 and 19 and it was submitted on Dec. 20. The Republican candidates also left empty a portion of the form they were supposed to fill in dealing with what the election was for and the date of the election. Cosgriff’s objections were filed by his attorney, Chuck Proroc, on Tuesday, Dec. 27, the last day to file objections.

Print Article

Read More Local News

More snow, more problems

April 19, 2018 at 8:46 am | BELOIT - For the second time in three days the Stateline Area was visited by a springtime surprise of snow, which caused some traffic difficulties and cancellations of activities. But, there is hope...

Comments

Read More

Library says no to vote recount

April 19, 2018 at 9:07 am | SOUTH BELOIT - The South Beloit Public Library District will not seek a recount of ballots in the narrow defeat of its $4.9 million referendum. The referendum question, which appeared on the March 2...

Comments

Read More

Hononegah school board OKs anti-harassment policy

April 19, 2018 at 9:07 am | ROCKTON - The Hononegah Board of Education is taking a stand against sexual harassment in the school district, approving an anti-harassment policy at Wednesday night's meeting. The policy covers al...

Comments

Read More

Senior center coordinator promoted to Parks and Recreation position

April 19, 2018 at 9:07 am | BELOIT - Senior Center Coordinator Paula Schutt has been promoted to the position of recreation coordinator for the city's Parks and Recreation Department. She will start her new duties on Monday, Ap...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(608) 365-8811
149 State Street
Beloit, WI 53511

©2018 Beloit Daily News Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X