Sanchez waiting for extradition

Print Article

Peter Sanchez

A Machesney Park man accused of sexually abusing two 5-year-old girls who were students at Prairie Hill School in South Beloit is still waiting extradition to Illinois from Puerto Rico.

Peter A. Sanchez, 68, has been charged with five counts of sexual abuse while he worked for First Student, the bus company contracting with Prairie Hill School District. Sanchez was arrested in Puerto Rico on June 9, and has been waiting extradition to Illinois ever since.

Dominic Iasparro, deputy chief for the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office, said shortly after his arrest Sanchez waived an extradition hearing, which should speed the process up. Iasparro said the procedures are relatively the same when extraditing someone from Puerto Rico to the United States compared to a state-to-state extradition.

“Right now it’s a matter of approving travel arrangements for him to come back to Illinois,” Iasparro said. “It’s active as we are speaking to get that process completed. He will be returned to Illinois soon.”

Iasparro said there is no timeline for when Sanchez could be back in Illinois.

According to the indictment, Sanchez had sexual contact with two females, both born in 2008, between April 15 and May 23. The indictment states Sanchez inappropriately touched both girls during that time period.

The sheriff’s office was notified of the possible abuse by the South Beloit Police Department on May 27. South Beloit was informed of the allegations on May 26.

South Beloit Police Chief Dean Stiegemeier told the Daily News previously surveillance footage showed the abuse occurred while at Prairie Hill Elementary School, which is outside the department’s jurisdiction. So the police department forwarded the information to the sheriff’s office, which took over the investigation. The school district and officials from the Department of Children and Family Services were notified of the investigation, the sheriff’s office said previously.

Each count holds a sentence of three to seven years in prison, followed by a mandatory 2 year supervised release period, and registering as a sex offender for life.

On June 4, bail was set at $500,000 for Sanchez. He would need to post 10 percent, or $50,000, in order to be released from custody.

Print Article

Read More News

South Beloit won't outsource policing

July 24, 2017 at 4:00 pm | SOUTH BELOIT - The City of South Beloit will not be contracting with the Winnebago County Sheriff's Office for police services in the city. City officials have been engaged in talks with the Winneba...

Comments

Read More

Stateline prepares for flooding

July 24, 2017 at 4:00 pm | ROCKFORD - Sandbagging stations were set up in Roscoe, Machesney Park and New Milford over the weekend as river levels continued to rise in Winnebago County. The Winnebago County Sheriff's Office an...

Comments

Read More

Mayor plans 'State of City' address

July 24, 2017 at 4:00 pm | SOUTH BELOIT - South Beloit Mayor Ted Rehl will give a rundown of plans for the city's future and talk about some recent challenges during a State of the City address set for 6 p.m. Aug. 9 at the Nat...

Comments

Read More

Man accused of scuffle at store

July 24, 2017 at 4:00 pm | BELOIT - A Beloit man has been charged with multiple crimes following a fight on July 13 in the 1800 block of Summit Avenue, according to a Rock County Circuit Court criminal complaint. Garvin T. H...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(608) 365-8811
149 State Street
Beloit, WI 53511

©2017 Beloit Daily News Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X